In a perfect world, our fresh set of acrylic nails will forever be neat, chic and chip-free. But here in the real world, acrylic nails tend to break – some nails completely fall off – nail polish crack easily, and after a while the new nail growth just isn't pleasant to see. There is a time when you cannot go to your manicurist for a resume, and you have to offer the only solution: remove the acrylic yourself.
Stop – there's a safer way to remove your acrylic before searching for your Metrocard or any other tips you've picked up over the years. Ahead, celebrity nail artist, and Nails.Inc ambassador Lisa Logan share her personal tips and tricks for removing acrylic at home, harmlessly.
Wait, I thought acrylic nails were bad for your natural nail?
First things first: acrylic is not bad, despite what horror stories you have heard. "I believe that proper application and removal is key to any product you apply to your nails," says Logan. It depends on finding a good technician who knows how to use acrylic on your nails or using the right tools at home, according to Logan.
What products are required for home acrylic removal?
"(There are) traditional methods of removing acrylics, such as using subway cards, because they are very thin and can be weighed between the nail and the product. But acrylic is best removed with acetone or a drill bit. , ”Logan explains. The most effective way to remove acrylic from your nail is to soak your nails in pure acetone, which helps to melt the gel / acrylic to prevent excessive scraping and peeling. Logan also suggests investing in a manicure tray, cotton balls, foil paper, nail file and a wooden stick.
How to remove your acrylic / gel manicure at home in five steps:
- Use the nail file to remove the shine (top layer) of the gel or nail polish color.
- Soak your cotton balls in acetone.
- Cut your foil into squares – enough to wrap your finger – and wrap the cotton ball around the nail plate where the rest of the gel color is.
- Let the acetone sit on the nails for at least 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes you will see the gel detach from the nail plate. Grab the orange wooden stick to keep the excess gel from the nail.
- Now for the fun part. Cut and shape the nail so that it does not stick to anything. Then soak your hands in warm soapy water.
- Take out your hand and push your cuticle back, clean loose skin and dry cuticle.
- Dry and stain the nail to create a smooth surface. Repeat on the other side
What does aftercare look like?
You just pierce your nails, so it's now time to hydrate the nail bed to strengthen it. "Add a cuticle oil and massage it into the nail and cuticle," Logan adds. "Wash your hands with a nail brush to clean the nail plate one last time." Once your nails are clean, Logan says to paint the nail with Nails. Inc. Nail Polish Base Layer – a nail polish formulated with kale extract to build weakened nails. You can stop there and leave your nails bare, or give a complete manicure with a different nail color.
And if you are more of a visual learner. Try this YouTube video: